It’s All Greek To Me: 20 Recipes to Try
If you’ve found yourself in a bit of a cooking rut, these tasty Greek recipes are sure to spice things up. Add one (or a few!) to your weekly meal rotation!
- Pastitsio: this lasagna-like dish is easy to make and will have everyone begging for seconds!
- Fassolatha: Fassolatha is a hearty bean soup that is the national dish of Greece. It’s made with many things you probably already have and is a great way to clean out the fridge and pantry!
- Soutzoukakia: these are meatballs cooked in a warm, cinnamon-spiced tomato sauce and they pair perfectly with potatoes, rice, or even couscous.
- Rustic Eggplant Moussaka: eggplant moussaka is like a lasagna made with eggplant instead of pasta with a meat sauce layer and a béchamel sauce layer. Yum!
- Easy, Traditional Greek Gyros: is there anything better than a recipe that’s authentic and easy? Gyros are the perfect addition to your weeknight meal roster.
- Kleftiko: this savory entree is slow-cooked lamb legs and is delicious with tzatziki and rice or potatoes!
- Strapsatsada: breakfast for dinner anyone? These Greek-style scrambled eggs make the perfect easy dinner.
- Mushroom Seitan Gyros: seitan, also known as wheat gluten, can be made or bought at many grocery stores. Combined with mushrooms, it creates a savory, meat-like filling that’s perfect for gyros.
Appetizers And Salads
- Dolmades: these are grape leaves stuffed with herbs, pine nuts, currents, and rice. They make the perfect starter for a Greek-themed dinner. Plus, they’re vegetarian and gluten-free!
- Tzatziki: this is a cucumber-yogurt dip with dill that’s perfect for dipping pita bread. It also makes a great sauce for meat or salads.
- New Greek Salad: Martha Stewart puts a modern twist on this lunchtime favorite with croutons and dill.
- Roasted Pumpkin and Feta Croquettes: these cheesy, fried balls of pumpkin are the perfect dish to say, “hurt up, fall!”
- Spanikopita: if you’ve never had spanikopita before, you’re missing out on this savory pastry filled with spinach and warm cheese!
You might also like: Be Your Own Mechanic This Summer
Drinks, Desserts, Bread
- Loukoumades: this sweet honey donut is traditionally served around the New Year, but delicious desserts have no season, right? Whip up a batch for the perfect after-dinner treat.
- Greek Yogurt: though it isn’t technically a dessert, Greek yogurt is so versatile it definitely could be with the right toppings. Why not try making your own?
- Melomakarona: this easy dessert is simply comprised of shortbread cookies soaked in a honey syrup until they’re a cookie-pudding hybrid.
- Taramasalata: another soaked dish, taramasalata is a dip made from milk-soaked bread with aromatics and row.
- Pita: homemade pita is remarkably easy, and it takes every dish to the next level
- Ouzo Lemonade: cool off from the heat of summer with this refreshing Greek drink! It’s essentially a mint lemonade sweetened with honey, which is oh-so refreshing on these hot summer days.
- Cyprus Macaroons (Ergolavi): Ergolavi is an orange and almond cookie, and it’s the perfect light dessert after a hearty meal!
With so many great options to choose from, which Greek dish will you make first?