Guide to Hauling Cargo Safely with your Dodge Ram

July 7th, 2017 by

Your Dodge Ram handles everything you need it to haul and more, even though sometimes you need it to haul a lot, don’t you? Remember when heading out on the road this summer, being smart when you load your truck will ensure each trip is a safe one for the whole family.Safety with your truck includes not only what you put in the bed, but also what you load in or on the trailer. It doesn’t end there though. Check out our guide to keeping your family and your Ram safe.Customizable Features that Affect Hauling CargoThere are many customizable features for your Dodge Ram. Do you have a Ram 1500 with a regular cab or quad cab? This could affect how much weight your truck can carry and tow. Do you know what your truck’s limits are? If you aren’t sure, you can learn more online with help from Dodge’s towing guide.The size of the truck bed, or box, is another factor that affects how much hauling and towing capacity your truck has. The bigger the box, the bigger the cargo load your truck can carry, but the less you will be able to tow safely.In addition, if you have a four-wheel drive truck, you may have less towing and payload capacity. However, you will have more control on uneven ground or slick surfaces than you would if your truck was equipped with two-wheel drive.Many factors affect how much weight your truck can carry and pull. Below, we have listed some of the important terms to help you understand how much weight your Dodge Ram can safely handle.

How to Safely Connect a TrailerTrailers come in many shapes and sizes. However, when hitching the trailer to your Ram there are generally only three different types of connections. Check out the videos on how to safely connect to a receiver hitch, connect to a fifth wheel hitch in five easy steps, and how to connect to a gooseneck hitch.Tips to remember when you load cargo into a trailer, it is important to remember to load 60 percent of the total weight in the front of the trailer, or the area closest to the truck. The other 40 percent will be in the back, and the entire load needs to be balanced side-to-side.Once you have the cargo loaded, don’t forget to secure it in place with weight appropriate straps, bungees, or ropes. If the load shifts, it will cause instability in the trailer.When you have your truck and trailer loaded, remember to go slow. It takes more distance to accelerate and brake when you are weighed down with cargo. You will need as much room as if you were on roads slick with ice. You also need more room to pass other vehicles and to turn. The longer your trailer is, the wider the turn will be.If the trailer does become unstable and begins to whip or sway, take your foot off of the accelerator. Braking too quickly can cause you to have less control of your cargo.Don’t forget when you are driving your truck loaded with cargo and attached to a trailer to always have a full-size spare tire. A compact spare will not adequately stand up to the weight of your cargo.Light-Duty Dodge Rams The Dodge Ram 1500 is considered a light-duty pickup, but don’t let the description fool you – there isn’t much a 1500 won’t do. It can tow boats, ATVs, or trailers.

Heavy-Duty Dodge RamsGenerally speaking, the heavy-duty lines are designed for commercial hauling and construction equipment – however, when hauling a horse trailer or a recreational vehicle you may need the capability of the Ram 2500 or the 3500. See their info below:

You can take care of yourself and your Dodge Ram by managing what you haul and tow appropriately. If you need more capacity for towing and hauling than you currently have, don’t hesitate to come see us at Safford of Warrenton, and let us help you find the perfect Ram for your needs.

Posted in Dodge, News, Ram